Resume Tips or Strategies:
- Include a skills section where you can add technical experience, software, languages and other knowledge that may be useful to the employer.
- If you were top of your class, state it.
- Keep it short and simple, but don’t worry about fitting it on to one page, do not leave out important information in order to fit the “one page rule”.
- Experience is important.
- If you are applying to an internship you may list relevant coursework.
- Create a projects/research section where you can list projects/research that you have worked on while in college, or after graduating.
Career Resources for General Engineering Majors:
General Engineering Graduate Programs:
- Electrical Engineering MS
- Computer Engineering MS
- Chemical Engineering MS
- Civil Engineering MS
- Environmental Engineering MS
- Fire Protection Engineering MS
- Biomedical Engineering MS
- Industrial Engineering MS
- Mechanical Engineering MS
- Systems Engineering MS
- Financial Engineering
- Urban Systems Engineering and Management MS
- Manufacturing Engineering MS
- Robotics Engineering MS
Career options with a:
- Master’s Degree:
- Engineer in field where degree is obtained (Chemical Engineer, Civil Engineer, Robotics Engineer, etc)
- Engineering Technician
- Software Developer
- Design Engineer
- Engineering Manager
- Product Engineer
- Research Engineer
Salary and job outlook information
|Job Title||Median Salary||Outlook|
|Architectural and Engineering Managers||$130,620||+2% (slower than average)|
|Stationary Engineers and Boiler Operators||$56,330||+1%|
|Environmental Engineer||$83,630||+12% (faster than average)|
|Aerospace Engineer||$105, 380||-2%|
|Sales Engineers||$96,340||+7% (average)|
|Health and Safety Engineers||$81,830||+6% (average)|
|Agricultural Engineers||$71,730||+4% (slower than average)|
|Civil Engineers||$82,050||+8% (average)|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineers||$93,260||0%|
|Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technicians||$41,350||+7% (average)|
|Water Transportation Worker (Barge Engineer)||$53,130||+9% (average)|
|Mechanical Engineer||$83,060||+5% (average)|
|Cost Estimator (Cost Engineer)||$60,050||+9% (faster than average)|
|Computer Hardware Engineer||$108,430||+3% (slower than average)|
|Petroleum Engineer||$130,050||+10% (faster than average)|
|Chemical Engineer||$96,940||+2% (slower than average)|
|Biomedical Engineer||$86,950||+23% (much faster than average)|
|Mining and Geological Engineer||$90,160||+6% (average)|
|Marine Engineer and Naval Architects||$92,930||+9% (faster than average)|
- The GRE Engineering subject test has been discontinued. You might find that a different GRE subject test like Computer Science, Chemistry, or Physics may be more appropriate for the program that you intend to pursue in graduate school, if it’s required for the application.
- One of the most compelling indicators of how a student will fare in graduate school is the extent to which they have had opportunities to participate in research.
General Engineering Graduate Program Websites:
- Link to what can I do with this major: